Origami helps Anxiety

01:39

A couple of days ago I tweeted that I was going to try and start doing origami to combat anxiety, and whilst I was feeling a bit 'busy' tonight, I had a go at doing some! I started with a butterfly, and it worked wonderfully. This idea was first suggested to me by my old psychology teacher, who suffered with dyslexia and found origami was something to concentrate on when it all got a bit jumbled and stressful. It's amazing how long this idea has stuck with him, since he first came across the idea when he was young, by one of his teachers. So maybe that proves something?

Anyway, I used this tutorial, really simple, but it's at 'intermediate' level apparently so maybe try it, and if you don't agree with it, try a different one? I haven't got any fancy paper (yet), but here's my first go at butterflies. I love them, so little and sweet. 



I had a quick read of this article, about the health benefits of origami, which seemed quite interesting - but if you can't be bothered to read it, I filtered into a quick list below....

  • Helps improve relaxation skills 
  • Improves muscle building in hands (E.g. 'hand exercises' after surgery)
  • Some therapists claim that origami helps with; Low self-esteem, anxiety, ADHD, autism, depression etc.
  • Especially in child therapy, this can be a great alternative to the colouring in exercises that are usually used to create a safe place for the child, and to also help them to relax in a new environment.
Also, if you have a spare minute, give this article a read about how origami helped someones depression and anxiety, and after 16 years, they still fold everyday. They also now volunteer in a psychiatric institution, where they teach some of the patients how to use origami productively for recovery. 

Cute papers are available here. If you do have a go, give me a comment below to see how you get on, I'm on the lookout for new tutorials too!

You Might Also Like

0 comments