How to make your morning coffee exciting

16:07

Everyone (everyone!) wakes up feeling a little less than cheerful every once in a while, but if you cut into your old boring routine and add some of flavour (or style?) you might find yourself heading for the day with a skip and a jump! I might be exaggerating, but hear me out... When I moved out, coffee in the morning became more than just 'get it in me as quickly as possible' and more about 'what can I do to actually enjoy my caffeine fix?'.


I realised I didn't have a vase big enough....

THE CAFETIERE


I don't want to sound like I'm saying I discovered the cafetiere, because obviously that's not the case, but I do feel it's sort of lost of our generation and people think it's just something that 'grown ups' have. We found ours reduced to £6 in the local Sainsbury's, so it's definitely not an expensive item to have. But let me tell you, you will not regret it. When coffee isn't instant it tastes so much better, I can't even describe what it's like to wake up to the smell of freshly brewed coffee as well, that's pretty special. 

THE FILTER COFFEE MACHINE


After months of using the cafetiere, on a midnight trip to ASDA we discovered the cheapest filter coffee machine, for just £7 we got the last one in the shop, and continued our coffee journey. I have to admit, I've only ever seen filter coffee machines in American TV and in really posh restaurants.... Never in my kitchen, until now! So now, I can pop a few scoops of ground coffee into the filter, top it up with water, and let it do it's thing whilst I get ready. And I don't even have to rush back to it, because the pot stays boiling hot for 40 minutes after it's made the coffee!

THE SYRUPS, AND FLAVOURINGS


We've only tried a few of these, but one that has massive success is adding a spoon a cocoa to your coffee to create a mocha! I love doing this in the morning, and you can add marshmallow's or cream into the mix when chocolate is involved. Reading around, it seems that a cheaper alternative to those very expensive branded syrups might be just adding simple spices to the coffee before you brew in the cafetiere or filter, but only add 1/8-1/4 of a teaspoon as it'll have a bit of a kick. We've tried cinnamon and ginger before, but you could try cardamom, pumpkin pie spice, apple pie spice, or ditch the spices and use extracts! I'd definitely recommend tasting as you go though, because it's easy to go from spicy coffee, to coffee flavoured curry... 


THE PRICE


Okay... the bad news. Ground coffee retails at around £3.00 a bag usually, because I've found a lot of the time they're on 2 for £5/6, so let's say £3.00 a bag. Nescafé 200g jar of instant coffee retails at around £5.00 a jar (£4.98 at a leading supermarket...). The line is that you get 111 servings of coffee (teaspoons) for each 200g, so each spoon costs you around 5p. Whereas with ground coffee (average size of 227g per bag) you have to use a massive 7g per scoop (or cup), which means that ground coffee costs you 9p per serving. I have to admit that I was expecting better results than that too, but as long as you're not drinking ground coffee 10 times a day, it's not a massive blow to the bank!

I hope this helps towards making your morning coffee a little bit more than just a mug of caffeine! Happy Friday, everybody x

You Might Also Like

0 comments